Thursday, April 19, 2007

My first worthwhile post?

"EVERYTHING REPEATS ITSELF.
ITS AMAZING THAT EVERYBODY
THINKS THINGS ARE NEW,
BUT IT'S ALL REPEAT"
-andy warhol

I m at my Rolling Stone internship right now and barely anyone is here so I have nothing to do but this...
So I always love it when I notice blatent rip-offs, or just obviously heavily inspired designs. It's kind of funny to see the way things relate to eachother, even though I never know if its by coincidence or not. [My friend Andrew once had a good blog that was only about inspired, related, and ripped-off designs he found, but sadly he has since, to my knowledge, deleted it.] Also, a great site for this kinda stuff is You Thought We Wouldn't Notice.


My first heavily inspired designs are as follows...


This is a design by Lance Wyman for the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. (this design in the original idea to my knowledge.) I first saw this design in my History of Graphic Design class a few weeks ago.
[side note: this designer is a teacher at my school, and I reallyyy wanted to take his Spatial Graphics class, but it was full :'( ]


Seeing that design then reminded me of this...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This is a design by Sayshiro "Rito" Fujimoto with Nobody Design Products which I saw a few months ago in my amazinggg book of Japanese graphic design called Narita Inspected. This design is from 2000 by the way.


Another thing that Wyman's design reminded me of was this...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This is the logo for The Times Square Alliance , I pass this on a few trash cans on my way to Rolling Stone. I tried to find who designed it, but I haven't had any luck so far.

I wonder if Lance Wyman's design was the original idea like this or if there were others before before him, aside from the already assumed inspirations from op-art and things like that. I bet there are a bunch more designs inspired by these out there too.



***********************



So a few weeks ago I saw a screening of The Helvetica Movie.
It was not all that great, but thats besided the point,
they gave us all this free helvetica notebook...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
It was pretty unneccessay, but now I see that Veer is selling the notebooks on their website for $22! I shoulda grabbed a stack on my way out and sold em on the street half price haha

No comments:

labels